Organization, Culture & Change

How to get buy-in for your ideas: Eight strategies

November 12, 2018

You have worked hard on your project, or your transformation initiative. Now there is only one thing left: Buy-in. Buy-in from your customer, boss, steering committee or whoever has something to say about your project. Getting buy-in is a multi-faceted problem and of course depends on one‘s status in the organization as well as the […]

Read the full article →

The Art of Optimization: Why you should take two roads in the woods

January 14, 2018

“Two roads diverged in a wood, and I- I took the road less travelled by, And that has made all the difference” This excerpt from the poem by Robert Frost always sounds so inspirational. But is it always right? Is there always something magical about taking the road less travelled by? Maybe, just maybe, it was […]

Read the full article →

How to be an innovative leader: 9 strategies

October 11, 2017

Everybody is looking for innovation these days. But many leaders ask: where do I start, what should I focus on? There is a place where every leader can start to be innovative, without great investments: Your leadership style. Leadership innovation? If you want innovation leadership you should start with leadership innovation. With this, you can […]

Read the full article →

5 strategies for successful collaboration in global organisations

February 3, 2017

Companies and organizations have become increasingly complex and globally dispersed. Multiple locations, business units and functions have to work together. There are a number of advantages for global cooperation and collaboration across these boundaries: Customers, alliance partners, etc. also cooperate across boundaries: If one does not understand the connections here, one is quickly left behind. […]

Read the full article →

Top European Speaker on Innovation and Leadership

December 17, 2016

Lars Sudmann is an author, advisor and top European keynote speaker. The former executive of Procter & Gamble and university lecturer has already spoken in front of tens of thousands of enthusiastic audience participants across Europe at Fortune500 companies and major associations. Contact us here to explore how Lars can also help making your conference or corporate event even more […]

Read the full article →

The Spaghetti principle for innovation and change

October 4, 2016

In a meeting somebody said, in a somewhat condescending tone:  “They are using the spaghetti technique…” This was the first time I came across the term. We had been discussing a competitor’s strategy. “Huh?”, I thought. “Well, how do you know if a spaghetti is ready after cooking? You throw them at the wall, and see […]

Read the full article →

6 Pitfalls of Organisational Culture Change

April 13, 2016

By Lars Sudmann and Debbie Baute Globalisation. Digitalisation. Complexity. Cost Pressure. Almost all organisations face these challenges and need to adapt accordingly. Companies want to become more innovative, more agile, more-high-performing. So then it’s agreed: the culture must change! And here often the problems start: We see re-occuring patterns on why culture change initiatives fail. Here are six enemies of culture change, […]

Read the full article →

7 strategies to break down silo thinking

March 30, 2016

Have you ever worked in an organization and you were trying to get some information from another department? And it was just…not…possible? Or something that you wanted to implement and you were not able because of the enormous amount of irrational pushback? Silo thinking: It’s a key component of many larger organisations. After departments have been […]

Read the full article →

How to master three problematic areas of decision-making in organizations

February 24, 2016

Quickly, if you were given a choice, which of the following scenarios would you prefer? a) You get €1,000,000 for sure. Or b) You need to play a game where you have a: 10 % chance of getting €2,500,000 89 % chance of getting €1,000,000 1 % chance of getting €0 There is no right […]

Read the full article →

What’s your QWERTY? Lessons for leadership from computer keyboards

February 1, 2016

You might have read that the French government is examining the AZERTY keyboard and is thinking of adapting it to something different and easier to use. This decision is being applauded by many, as apparently for some it appears to be even easier to write in French language on a British QWERTY or German QWERTZ keyboard then on the AZERTY […]

Read the full article →

Ideas, Coffee and Innovation

January 18, 2016

In this interesting TED talk by Steven Johnson it is mentioned that the coffee house was the key for the innovation explosion in the 18th Century. In coffee houses ideas could be discussed, shared and meet new ideas. My personal feeling is that this has changed a bit. We have a multitude of coffee houses, […]

Read the full article →

Boost your Meeting ROI with these ten strategies

November 27, 2015

Millions of meetings are being held every day. Some people love them, but for too many the following statement holds true: “A meeting is an event where minutes are taken and hours are wasted.” As a conference presenter I work a lot with the event industry. And this industry has an interesting metric: Event ROI. Naturally, […]

Read the full article →

The TTA framework: 3 elements of high performance in teams

October 29, 2015

Have you ever wondered about the question who you want to have on your team and why? And how do you make sure a team operates at its best once it’s formed? While there are many ways to explore these questions I have developed one framework for my own teamwork that I look at constantly in […]

Read the full article →

Miscommunication Bingo

September 18, 2015

Do you often attend meetings? Are some of them bad? I guessed so. Here is my idea for you: When you attend a meeting, try to assess the following bad communication patters and play “Miscommunication Bingo”. Here are the “eight villains” of great meeting communication and team performance. Do you recognize some of them? So, […]

Read the full article →

Five metrics for leaders and managers

September 8, 2015

  Recently, I came across an article about why CEO’s get fired. Key conclusion: it is often the leadership style that causes the outing. Therefore, focusing and improving one’s leadership skills is vital. But on top of standard leadership training and coaching there are also a couple of leadership metrics or Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) that can […]

Read the full article →

The Fire Principle

August 21, 2015

  I was called into the director’s office. “Please drop everything and come immediately.” And so I did, as this was my “dotted-line” manager where I was head of logistics finance for Western Europe at the time. In there I was a bit puzzled, asking, “What is so important”? And he answered: “Lars, I have […]

Read the full article →

Three things managers can learn from start-up software teams

May 22, 2015

Have you ever been part of a software development team? Three years ago I have let the corporate world. Since then I advise large organizations but I am also involved in small companies. There, I have been increasingly involved in software development, e.g. for PresMaster. Working with startup software teams I have learned several operational […]

Read the full article →

Team building: Powerful tool or waste of time?

February 3, 2015

“Team-building”: Whenever I utter these two words in front of a business audience during my speeches or seminars, I receive two kinds of reactions: Some members of the audience remember very good times they had with a group during an outside activity (e.g., a circus class,…); they got to know themselves better and had good […]

Read the full article →

The Psychology of Decision Making: Pitfalls and Strategies

January 26, 2015

Imagine the following situation, and try to answer the question for yourself: “You have bought a ticket for a concert for 100€. After arriving in the concert hall you realize that you have lost the ticket. However, there are still tickets left at the counter and you can by a new one for 100€ – […]

Read the full article →

A little-used question that saves time and leads to more engaged employees

July 2, 2013

I have seen the following scenario quite often, both as a manager and as well as a management consultant: Employee: “I don’t know what I should do.” Boss: “Ah, a pity. Ok, here is what you should do…” This is often accompanied by a sigh and thinking that the employee cannot solve things on his […]

Read the full article →